One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Toward the northwest; in a northwest direction.‘the river flows northwestward towards Rheims’
- ‘My great-grandparents later moved out north-westward, into suburbia.’
- ‘Dervaig is around 1hr 20 min drive north-westwards from Craignure, Mull's port for car ferry arrivals from Oban.’
- ‘During the remaining weeks of the war, the Red Army and the Partisans gradually drove the Axis forces north-westwards through Serbia and Croatia until the German surrender of 8 May.’
- ‘The same month Roosevelt approved King's proposals for a Pacific offensive, a strategy summed up by King as: hold Hawaii; support Australasia; drive north-westwards from the New Hebrides.’
- ‘Looking north-westwards from the summit, across the fjord-like Loch Etive, lies Beinn Trilleachean with its granite sweep of crags known as the Etive Slabs.’
- ‘Unfortunately, this battle had become irrelevant, since Guderian was already pushing north-westwards into France.’
- ‘The frontier ran roughly north-westwards from London into the north-west midlands; Guthrum was to withdraw with his troops behind this line, where he was to be recognized as king of an independent kingdom.’
Situated in, directed toward, or facing the northwest.
- ‘The extension north-westwards of Edinburgh's age-old traffic congestion was created by building the first road bridge.’
- ‘Due to its excellent stress tolerance, grasslands dominated by L. chinensis are widely distributed at the eastern end of the Eurasian steppe, from North Korea westward to Mongolia and northern China, and north-westward to Siberia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.