One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Asian food fish of the carp family that is also a voracious predator. It is able to survive adverse conditions and has been inadvertently released into the wild in the US.
- ‘Biologists sampling the lake captured more than 100 juvenile northern snakeheads, confirming their worst fears: The air-breathing, land-crawling, voracious predator found in a pond in Crofton, Maryland, is multiplying.’
- ‘The discovery of a couple of northern snakehead in a small pond in Maryland two years ago made national news and triggered an expensive attempt to eradicate the non-indigenous fish.’
- ‘The northern snakehead is an air-breathing, freshwater fish native to waters ranging from southern Siberia to south-central China.’
- ‘Highly predatory, with a saw-toothed grin, the northern snakehead is unique in that it can ‘walk’ on land with its strong pectoral fins and migrate to other waters.’
- ‘The good news is that the fish, a northern snakehead that has been targeted by biologists for the last several weeks, was caught.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.