One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Asian food fish of the carp family that is also a voracious predator. It is able to survive adverse conditions and has been inadvertently released into the wild in the US.
- ‘Biologists sampling the lake captured more than 100 juvenile northern snakeheads, confirming their worst fears: The air-breathing, land-crawling, voracious predator found in a pond in Crofton, Maryland, is multiplying.’
- ‘Highly predatory, with a saw-toothed grin, the northern snakehead is unique in that it can ‘walk’ on land with its strong pectoral fins and migrate to other waters.’
- ‘The good news is that the fish, a northern snakehead that has been targeted by biologists for the last several weeks, was caught.’
- ‘The discovery of a couple of northern snakehead in a small pond in Maryland two years ago made national news and triggered an expensive attempt to eradicate the non-indigenous fish.’
- ‘The northern snakehead is an air-breathing, freshwater fish native to waters ranging from southern Siberia to south-central China.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.