Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Formerly, a school or college for the training of teachers.
- ‘She graduated from a normal school in Mexico, but she taught only a year before immigrating to Texas.’
- ‘Many of these institutions began as normal schools and many continue to have teacher training programs.’
- ‘Spain's official educational system comprised primary and secondary schools, both public and private, the university and special vocational and normal schools.’
- ‘Soon thereafter women at Wellesley, Vassar, Radcliffe, and other women's colleges and normal schools in the Northeast had taken up the sport.’
- ‘In many states the old normal schools were transformed into a state college system after World War II.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.