One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hormone that is released by the adrenal medulla and by the sympathetic nerves and functions as a neurotransmitter. It is also used as a drug to raise blood pressure.Also called noradrenaline
- ‘Within the adrenal medulla dopamine is converted to norepinephrine and epinephrine.’
- ‘When you're under stress your adrenal glands produce the hormones cortisol, norepinephrine, and adrenaline.’
- ‘As a natural response to a diseased heart, the body releases the hormone norepinephrine, causing the heart to beat up to five times faster than normal.’
- ‘Some scientists believe that the combination of the norepinephrine and endorphins help us to learn quickly and permanently.’
- ‘It inhibits serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine reuptake.’
1940s: from nor- + epinephrine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.