Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of Scandinavian crime fiction and television drama that typically features dark storylines and bleak urban settings.‘the appetite for Nordic noir shows no sign of decreasing’
- ‘Finnish writer Antti Tuomainen takes Nordic noir into uncharted territory in his award-winning third novel, The Healer, offering a bleak vision of a world beset by climate change.’
- ‘This Swedish husband-and-wife team are the godparents of the literary genre often called Nordic Noir.’
- ‘Like the Nordic Noir dramas before it, this is a show that demands analysis and conjecture from its viewers, rather than passive viewing.’
- ‘Aberystwyth may have the country's lowest crime rate, but it is the perfect setting for ' Hinterland ', a rival to Nordic noir thrillers like The Killing.’
- ‘While the bleak world of Nordic Noir might now be becoming the biggest influence on the world of TV drama, CSI has left an indelible mark on the world of crime drama on TV on both sides of the Atlantic.’
- ‘Long before the current spate of Nordic noir such as Wallander and The Killing, Baroness Rendell, 82, was the queen of British television crime drama.’
- ‘The show, the latest in a long line of Nordic Noir hits, has had stellar success in a genre British dramatists seem to be shying away from.’
- ‘While Nordic noir - such as Denmark's The Killing - pops up on TV screens worldwide, Russian viewers will also experience other areas of the Scandinavian television repertoire.’
- ‘Stieg Larsson's crime novels and "Nordic noir" television series like "The Killing" have inspired almost cultlike followings.’
- ‘Nordic Noir might be the genre du jour but Mediterranean crime has better food, clement weather and an equally deft touch with cliffhangers.’
- ‘With its eerie location and Scandinavian connections, Shetland will obviously draw comparisons to the Nordic Noir dramas such as The Killing and The Bridge.’
- ‘I attempted the HMV store, looking for a boxed set of The Killing (I'm very much into Nordic Noir) but it was packed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.