Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not causing a stain.‘nonstaining modeling clay’
- ‘With flocks, the problem is often caused by not using a nonstaining adhesive or by using inappropriate tools when hanging.’
- ‘The formula is nontoxic, o-ring friendly, nonstaining and will not degrade rubber or polymers.’
- ‘For younger artists, it is a nonstaining modeling clay that is nonhardening and nontoxic.’
- ‘Nonstaining mortars and flashing should be used with marble.’
- 1.1 Not responding to the application of a stain or dye.‘nonstaining cells’
- ‘In translocation heterozygotes of maize, segregation produces nonviable gametes and can be detected by a high frequency of nonstaining pollen.’
- ‘Nonstaining regions of the gel indicated proteinase activity.’
- ‘Centromeres are the nonstaining primary constriction of a chromosome that separates the short arm from the long arm.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.