One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who does not smoke tobacco.
- ‘Thus it is the negative impact of smoke that non-smokers object to.’
- ‘Two-thirds of grown-ups in Bolton do not smoke, therefore non-smokers are in the majority.’
- ‘Why should non-smokers have to deal with the smoke forced into their lungs?’
- ‘If the owners prefer to allow smoking, non-smokers can accept that or stay away, they say.’
- ‘I am all for people's rights and a smoker has as much of a right to smoke as a non-smoker has the right to clean air.’
- ‘All enclosed spaces where smokers and non-smokers mix should be smoke free on public health grounds.’
- ‘However, non-smokers should understand that people smoke and many smoke out of addiction.’
- ‘In Yorkshire the survey found a third of smokers and four out of five non-smokers said they found smoking a big turn-off.’
- ‘Despite being a non-smoker with smoke sensitive eyes, I am strongly opposed to the new restrictions on smokers.’
- ‘Despite this, more than 3,000,000 non-smokers are exposed to second-hand smoke at work.’
- ‘The implication here is that pension providers fear fraud by non-smokers pretending to smoke in order to get a higher pension.’
- ‘The risks have been proven so why must non-smokers still be subjected to smoke they don't want to inhale?’
- ‘This is fine for smokers but non-smokers having chosen not to smoke shouldn't have to put up with the smell on them really.’
- ‘They have instead pushed for better facilities for non-smokers and a ban on smoking in restaurants only.’
- ‘Earlier research into the effects of second-hand smoke had focused on non-smokers living with smokers.’
- ‘Many, if not most, non-smokers find tobacco smoke an unpleasant irritant.’
- ‘They are jeopardising their own health and that of non-smokers who have to walk through their smoke.’
- ‘Is this ban about persuading smokers to quit or protecting non-smokers from second-hand smoke?’
- ‘It confirms that action to end smoking in the workplace would cut the risk to non-smokers and save the lives of smokers as well.’
- ‘He actively disliked non-smokers and merrily mocked teetotallers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.