One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A word having no conventionally accepted meaning.
- ‘Gyre and gimble are nonsense words, made up by Lewis Carroll, and which do not have conventionalized meanings in the language.’
- ‘Expressions of humor through silliness, nonsense words, or rhymes particularly enthrall preschoolers.’
- ‘Colleen looked disbelievingly at his back, then she looked at Elliot and Ellen, sputtering nonsense words and pointing at him.’
- ‘The speaker announced that she would pronounce a nonsense word, baba.’
- ‘The literal-minded Aphasia is a wall sculpture in which strings of tiny beads bearing individual letters have been arranged to form nonsense words.’
- ‘The producers just hated having this nonsense word, ‘Phyro-Giants.’’
- ‘Loren stifled a sigh of relief and bowed, murmuring nonsense words.’
- ‘I always thought it was just a nonsense word the Hoodoo Gurus made up.’
- ‘He spoke gently to the little kitty, soft nonsense words, and put it back down besides its mamma.’
- ‘He gingerly wiped away the spit with his bib and rolled over, mumbling a few nonsense words.’
- ‘However, she did not recognize any of the titles, because the titles were all nonsense words, a random combination of letters and numbers.’
- ‘To ensure that the kids didn't already know the new words, Horohov and Oetting replaced 16 of the words in the stories with nonsense words.’
- ‘Hans, Dayal and Pravin of Magic Lantern started with Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky with all its nonsense words about a brave boy who slays a monster.’
- ‘They held a brief conversation, filled with more nonsense words.’
- ‘Surely if it was random, you'd just get a string of nonsense words or something?’
- ‘Her soothing voice flows over me in nonsense words I do not comprehend.’
- ‘He had spent days at a time learning lists of nonsense words, testing himself to see precisely how many he could remember.’
- ‘That's a nonsense word; of course I haven't heard it.’
- ‘No name tickled all our fancies, but we agreed that a nonsense word was the way to go.’
- ‘Although nonsense words lose their novelty very quickly, when first presented they often provoke interest, curiosity, and even some amusement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.