One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A word having no conventionally accepted meaning.
- ‘That's a nonsense word; of course I haven't heard it.’
- ‘No name tickled all our fancies, but we agreed that a nonsense word was the way to go.’
- ‘He had spent days at a time learning lists of nonsense words, testing himself to see precisely how many he could remember.’
- ‘He gingerly wiped away the spit with his bib and rolled over, mumbling a few nonsense words.’
- ‘Expressions of humor through silliness, nonsense words, or rhymes particularly enthrall preschoolers.’
- ‘Gyre and gimble are nonsense words, made up by Lewis Carroll, and which do not have conventionalized meanings in the language.’
- ‘Her soothing voice flows over me in nonsense words I do not comprehend.’
- ‘I always thought it was just a nonsense word the Hoodoo Gurus made up.’
- ‘The literal-minded Aphasia is a wall sculpture in which strings of tiny beads bearing individual letters have been arranged to form nonsense words.’
- ‘To ensure that the kids didn't already know the new words, Horohov and Oetting replaced 16 of the words in the stories with nonsense words.’
- ‘Although nonsense words lose their novelty very quickly, when first presented they often provoke interest, curiosity, and even some amusement.’
- ‘Hans, Dayal and Pravin of Magic Lantern started with Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky with all its nonsense words about a brave boy who slays a monster.’
- ‘The speaker announced that she would pronounce a nonsense word, baba.’
- ‘They held a brief conversation, filled with more nonsense words.’
- ‘Loren stifled a sigh of relief and bowed, murmuring nonsense words.’
- ‘Surely if it was random, you'd just get a string of nonsense words or something?’
- ‘However, she did not recognize any of the titles, because the titles were all nonsense words, a random combination of letters and numbers.’
- ‘He spoke gently to the little kitty, soft nonsense words, and put it back down besides its mamma.’
- ‘The producers just hated having this nonsense word, ‘Phyro-Giants.’’
- ‘Colleen looked disbelievingly at his back, then she looked at Elliot and Ellen, sputtering nonsense words and pointing at him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.