Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a style of art) not intended to present an accurate depiction of the physical appearance of people or things.‘a completely nonrepresentational abstract painting’
- ‘His desires for inner expression led to the development of non-representational art, or art without a given subject.’
- ‘Art, especially non-representational art, is confusing to plenty of people.’
- ‘For the moment, I can take comfort in the fact that music is a non-representational art form.’
- ‘At this time he was one of the leading British abstract artists, but by the end of the decade he had become disillusioned with non-representational art and reverted to naturalism.’
- ‘Unlike the Fauve colors, the non-representational colors of Pop Art do not depict the artist's inner sensation of the world.’
- ‘Kandinsky's ideas for non-representational art emanate from several different sources.’
- ‘They shared an emphasis on the non-representational physicality of the painting and emotional engagement with the viewers.’
- ‘Blegvad even shifts into a non-representational style to draw impressions of sounds for a strip where Levi is awakening to the sounds of his neighborhood.’
- ‘The perspicacious observer may have noticed that most of my hobbyist ventures into the graphic arts are abstract or non-representational.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.