One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not registered or protected as a trademark or brand name; generic.
unbranded, untrademarked, non-proprietaryView synonyms
- ‘This is its ‘generic’, i.e. non-proprietary, name.’
- ‘But it is a good MP3 player, and more importantly it's a non-proprietary, non-copyright enforcing, song-organising MP3 player.’
- 1.1 (especially of computer hardware or software) conforming to standards that are in the public domain or are widely licensed, and so not restricted to one manufacturer.
- ‘Today, there still isn't a single non-proprietary desktop application suite to compete with Microsoft Office.’
- ‘It is a widely supported, non-proprietary standard, and there is plenty of software available.’
- ‘The following disadvantages might provide reasons for using alternative or non-proprietary software for future projects.’
- ‘Will Radio, Manila, or Frontier ever move to a non-proprietary scripting language?’
- ‘It is also based on non-proprietary standards and open source software.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.