Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not biased or partisan, especially toward any particular political group.
fair, justView synonyms
- ‘This is the message of the Hansard Society, a non-partisan charity promoting effective parliamentary democracy.’
- ‘The reality of a neutral, non-partisan mainstream press would be worth holding onto - if it had ever existed.’
- ‘The Commission is a non-partisan public body that is independent of government and directly accountable to Parliament.’
- ‘Monitors must be professional and non-partisan in their duties before, during and after elections.’
- ‘This seems to imply that the magazine has some obligation to be non-partisan.’
- ‘Still, some young politicians are willing to engage in a little non-partisan youth networking.’
- ‘Inauguration is a time for healing partisan divisions, and the address should be non-partisan and conciliatory.’
- ‘No system is foolproof, but an all-party, non-partisan approach to appointments is too good an opportunity to miss.’
- ‘The US has also claimed to be assembling a politically non-partisan public service and judiciary.’
- ‘Both are rated quite liberal by the non-partisan National Journal.’
- ‘We also believe it is important that Congress speak with one non-partisan voice on this issue.’
- ‘Many towns also elect three non-partisan members to serve a three-year term on the town cemetery commissions.’
- ‘I believe the process is conducted by a non-partisan or at least a bi-partisan group.’
- ‘My own belief in non-partisan politics is not the musing of an idealist, but the tormented cry of a desperate man.’
- ‘Unity is a very strong factor and key to success for any organisation whether a political or a non-partisan entity.’
- ‘Some bloggers want to be perceived as non-partisan and so might not take money for helping a political party.’
- ‘That would ensure non-partisan candidates of high quality, whom no Prime Minister could afford to overlook.’
- ‘The ministry of Community Development may perhaps emerge as a more neutral and non-partisan unit that can be given such a task.’
- ‘It's intelligent to approach political film in a non-partisan way because you want it to appeal to as many people as you possibly can.’
- ‘I reiterate, it is supposed to be an impartial, non-partisan organisation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.