One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not working or in use.‘nonoperational equipment’
- ‘In addition, 5 other reactors have been nonoperational for at least 2 consecutive calendar years.’
- ‘The capital receipts will come from the sale of non-operational property such as three golf courses in Leeds, assorted agricultural land, shops and houses across the district.’
- ‘Our hands have been tied while the studio has been nonoperational.’
- ‘At the Block M bus terminal, twin ticket booths were already installed in the underground hall, but were vacant and nonoperational.’
- ‘The baseboards were lined with the couple of thousand LPs Alvin had collected, though his snazzy vertical turntable was nonoperational for some obscure hightech reason.’
- ‘I have been amazed, with using this unit, just how many cameras are actually non-operational at certain times and it has saved me many times from being clocked while just over the speed limit.’
- ‘‘Power is vital, especially for health services, but most power stations are non-operational due to damage, or a lack of staff or fuel,’ the bank said.’
- ‘The NHS holds around 1,000 non-operational sites currently worth £912m.’
- ‘Before US occupation, the base was essentially nonoperational.’
- ‘Head Philip Davies said: ‘Items removed included file servers, so the whole of the suite is non-operational.’’
- ‘A system on the aircraft was nonoperational and the aircraft could not be used for the next sortie.’
- ‘For a while in the early days, just after release, the billing system was more or less nonoperational and the main game executable was a crash-prone mess.’
- ‘As a book about a nonoperational aircraft, Valkyrie will probably attract only a limited audience within the Air Force community.’
- ‘Designated caretakers are employees from noncritical and nonoperational departments during the storm.’
- 1.1 Not engaged in or involving active duties.
- ‘The new range of cost-cutting measures was decided at a meeting of the group's executive committee in Mr Gilbertson's home town of Johannesburg and will cost 100 jobs on top of the 1300 non-operational positions shed since the merger.’
- ‘Many who become generals have only one nonoperational assignment, which allows little time for reflection and assimilation of skills.’
- ‘Up to 3,000 non-operational managers will lose their jobs although it remained unclear last night where the majority of losses will be.’
- ‘It's hard to get top-grade civilian people in key positions because of the rotation of military officers in senior positions, and yet militaryofficers must rotate in and out of nonoperational assignments.’
- ‘The two officers remained at work, on non-operational duties, as the Crown Prosecution Service considers whether to bring any criminal charges against them.’
- ‘They have been put on non-operational firearms duties.’
- ‘Drawing from these definitions, noncore logistics functions can be described as nonoperational activities that are not required to be undertaken by military personnel.’
- ‘Many officers will become midcareer specialists by joining the nonoperational career fields after extensive experience in the operational career field's basic branches.’
- ‘Most of these duty officers had retreated to non-operational areas early in their careers because they couldn't stomach the risks of front-line policing.’
- ‘For many people it will be their only non-operational overseas experience.’
- ‘This practice is extant for non-operational periods only.’
- 1.2 Not derived from or involving normal business operations.
- ‘Last year, our business generated about $1.2 billion of free cash flow, but a lot of it went into junk- nonbusiness, nonoperational stuff.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.