One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failure to fulfill or comply with an obligation, rule, or custom.
contravention, breach, infringement, infraction, breaking, transgression, non-observance, lack of compliance with, disobeying, disobedience, defiance, defying, flouting, flying in the face of, rebelling againstinfringement, breach, breaking, violation, contravention, transgression, non-compliance, non-performance, dereliction, neglect, ignoring, disobedienceView synonyms
- ‘The non-observance of feeding rules and medical prevention, leads to many more diseases than otherwise would be the case.’
- ‘If a violation of one of those rights and freedoms is the result of a non-observance of the obligation in the enactment of domestic legislation, the responsibility of the State is engaged.’
- ‘The first of these relates to the non-observance of the accord.’
- ‘Flouting of convention can provoke conflict which is just as sharp as that caused by non-observance of laws.’
- ‘The National Roads Authority 1999 Survey of Free Speeds quantifies widespread non-observance of speed limits by all classes of traffic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.