Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Failure to fulfill or comply with an obligation, rule, or custom.
contravention, breach, infringement, infraction, breaking, transgression, non-observance, lack of compliance with, disobeying, disobedience, defiance, defying, flouting, flying in the face of, rebelling againstView synonyms
- ‘The non-observance of feeding rules and medical prevention, leads to many more diseases than otherwise would be the case.’
- ‘The first of these relates to the non-observance of the accord.’
- ‘The National Roads Authority 1999 Survey of Free Speeds quantifies widespread non-observance of speed limits by all classes of traffic.’
- ‘Flouting of convention can provoke conflict which is just as sharp as that caused by non-observance of laws.’
- ‘If a violation of one of those rights and freedoms is the result of a non-observance of the obligation in the enactment of domestic legislation, the responsibility of the State is engaged.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.