Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a person or their judgment) influenced by personal feeling or opinions in considering and representing facts.
biased, bigoted, discriminatory, partisan, partial, one-sided, jaundiced, intolerant, narrow-minded, unfair, unjust, inequitable, non-objective, unobjective, blinkered, parti pris, coloured, distorted, warped, loaded, weightedView synonyms
- ‘What it doesn't do - at least, not for me - is involve the viewer in any non-objective way.’
- ‘We are the most passionate and non-objective defenders of our coast that I know of.’
- ‘If that sounds inexcusably non-objective and chaotic, consider this.’
- ‘Was it a view within the White House that, in fact, he was a non-objective source on this investigation?’
- ‘And whether we do this to make better sense of what happened, or if it's simply to make the story more interesting, we still wind up being non-objective, even invented, personas.’
2Relating to abstract art.
- ‘With the continued search by the state for a truly proletarian art form, however, the various strands of non-objective art soon began to slip from official approval.’
- ‘In 1967 she established and endowed the Hilla yon Rebay Foundation to ‘foster, promote, and encourage the interest of the public in non-objective art.’’
- ‘In 1915, Malevich created an international revolution in art when he established a non-objective art style he called Suprematism by painting a simple black square on a white background.’
- ‘No major American artists in the twenties were making totally abstract, non-objective paintings.’
- ‘During the sittings, she advised him on the significance of non-objective art, seeking his patronage in securing its place in the cultural fabric of the city.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.