Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not acquired or acquirable by inheritance.‘nonhereditary forms of breast cancer’
- ‘It is by far the most common, nonhereditary, genetic birth defect, afflicting about one in every 1,000 babies.’
- ‘Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is nonhereditary; alcohol causes neuronal damage and cell loss in the fetal brain through direct action as a toxin.’
- ‘Congenital disorders are nonhereditary disorders, which are present at birth.’
- ‘It has also been fundamental in investigating many nonhereditary traits, especially gene expression relevant to complex diseases such as laminitis, developmental bone diseases, and colic.’
- ‘It is not so easy to differentiate those nonhereditary traits and talents within human nature from hereditary ones.’
- ‘Hereditary breast cancer commonly occurs in premenopausal women and is more frequently bilateral than nonhereditary breast cancer.’
- ‘This subset of patients was randomly chosen to include similar proportions of hereditary and nonhereditary disease.’
- ‘Hereditary and nonhereditary congenital hearing loss are the two major pediatric classifications.’
- ‘Among the Kuma, male leaders were designated as bigmen, a nonhereditary status earned through skill in oratory and negotiation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.