One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of an organization) not belonging to or associated with any government.
- ‘As an independent non-governmental organization, the fund does not get financial support from the government.’
- ‘Though routinely referred to as a non-governmental organization, the US Congress funds it.’
- ‘Here is an article about non-governmental organizations and how businesses should respond to them.’
- ‘Moreover, there is a large role for non-governmental organizations in both approaches.’
- ‘The organization has support from unions, religious groups and non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘All sorts of establishments in the Governmental and non-governmental sectors have been categorized and listed.’
- ‘A likely source of balance is from the non-governmental organizations, such as Oxfam.’
- ‘They were also subject to rather stricter rules about the security of their staff than were non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘It must instead rely on complaints from citizens, firms, and non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘In each case, it was non-governmental organizations that were the driving forces behind these profound changes.’
- ‘Few non-governmental organizations represented anything but parochial interests.’
- ‘The committee comprises representatives of government and non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘Meanwhile, many non-governmental organizations are also promoting sustainable development.’
- ‘Meanwhile, many non-governmental organizations are taking a more active approach.’
- ‘The main organizers of this march were the labor movement and many other non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘He's joined by his wife Jennifer who is the director of CARE, another non-governmental organization.’
- ‘Governmental and non-governmental agencies can provide support and information to active groups rooted in village and community.’
- ‘More than half the subscribers are employees of foreign non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘The management of each reserve was handed over to a local non-governmental organization.’
- ‘He founded the Institute for Democracy and Mediation, a non-governmental organization, in Tirana.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.