Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In spite of that; nevertheless.‘it was the barest of welcomes, but it was a welcome nonetheless’
in spite of everything, in spite of that, even so, however, but, still, yet, though, be that as it may, for all that, despite everything, despite that, after everything, having said that, that said, just the same, all the same, at the same time, in any event, come what may, at any rate, notwithstanding, regardless, anyway, anyhowView synonyms
- ‘These are not all of the colleges' own making but they will have to respond nonetheless.’
- ‘It reminds me of another frighteningly different culture which nonetheless fascinates us.’
- ‘He stepped forward, his arms at his sides, but I was nonetheless within his personal space.’
- ‘The outcome of the Butler Report may have been predictable but it's remarkable nonetheless.’
- ‘Elephant is not a total success, therefore, but it is a good album nonetheless.’
- ‘This gossip was denied by the government but nonetheless it influenced some to vote.’
- ‘Smoke from the fire streamed up to a hole in the roof: but the air was filled with woodsmoke nonetheless.’
- ‘In some ways they were objects, too scary to be people, but to be adored nonetheless.’
- ‘We should not overstate the risk to Scotland, which remains small, but it is there nonetheless.’
- ‘The combat and movement can be clumsy, but the game haunts you nonetheless.’
- ‘This is as hard to believe as the first images we saw were yesterday, but nonetheless that is what has happened.’
- ‘I shed a few angry tears after that, but still went to the writing test nonetheless.’
- ‘But a close family source said they nonetheless feared they would lose their croft.’
- ‘Like many a Costello lyric, it's ambitious and complicated but potent nonetheless.’
- ‘They can nonetheless be taken to indicate a distinctive turn in recent art.’
- ‘Much like the film it alludes to, this is an acquired taste, but worth taking a chance on, nonetheless.’
- ‘Bacall nonetheless seemed and still seems to have been made for the screen.’
- ‘He nonetheless managed to open the season with three straight league wins.’
- ‘That was already pretty obvious over here, but nonetheless the announcement has been made.’
- ‘Some of his advice may seem simplistic in the extreme but it is important nonetheless.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.