Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Lacking directional properties.
- ‘It was observed that the bulging effect at the apex was accompanied by the formation of thick but non-directional microfilaments.’
- ‘Because it is non-directional, a manufacturer can optimize cutting yield.’
- ‘The simplest explanation of these changes, given the non-directional pattern evident in Figure 3, is that they result from the varying patterns of replenishment and loss of individual fishes.’
- 1.1(of sound, light, radio waves, etc.) equally sensitive, intense, etc., in every direction.
- ‘The voice came from all around as non-directional speakers vibrated the air of the room itself.’
- ‘We also needed to confirm the airport would be open, and the airport lights and non-directional beacon were working.’
- ‘The airstrip, which does not have a manned control tower, is served by a non-directional beacon.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.