Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not advocating or practicing communism.
- ‘Eventually Stalin began trading with non-communist countries of western Europe, although he continued to be hostile to Germany.’
- ‘Though communists call themselves ‘socialists’, their movement had little in common with non-communist forms of socialism, or with earlier forms of communism in history, including Christian communism.’
- ‘The raw materials for a stable, non-communist government simply didn't exist in South Vietnam.’
- ‘The deliberation and drafting of the 1951 Refugees Convention were conducted solely by Western powers and non-communist member states of the UN.’
- ‘Solidarity formed the East Bloc's first non-communist government in 1989, marking the start of a wave of freedom which saw Marxist regimes fall like dominoes across Europe.’
A person who is not a communist.
- ‘In the arrests which followed in Leningrad non-communists seemed to suffer as much as communists.’
- ‘Tito's forces wrested large sections of the country from German control, ultimately winning the support of communists and non-communists, including the Allies.’
- ‘And it divided the ACLU, which split apart in 1951, with anti-communists controlling the organization and non-communists leaving to form the Emergency Civil Liberties Committee.’
- ‘The Russians were held responsible for this and their refusal to allow an enquiry by the International Red Cross only confirmed to non-communists in Poland that Stalin's government was responsible for these murders.’
- ‘He included in it several non-communists, restored a multi-party system, demanded the removal of Soviet troops, and announced Hungary's withdrawal from the Warsaw Pact.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.