One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is not engaged in fighting during a war, especially a civilian, chaplain, or medical practitioner.
non-fighting, non-participating, civilian, non-belligerent, pacifist, neutral, non-alignedView synonyms
- ‘Civilians and non-combatants are often cited as reasons for war - usually after they are dead - or reasons not to go to war - in the context of avoiding killing them.’
- ‘September saw the British retake Delhi after an extremely fierce fight in the city streets where no distinction was made between non-combatants and mutineers.’
- ‘Of the roughly 1.3 million Indian combatants and non-combatants sent overseas to fight for the British empire, the largest chunk were routed to Mesopotamia.’
- ‘Indeed, the question of the humanity of a weapon that causes indiscriminate blinding of combatants and non-combatants will restrict the future use of this technology in combat.’
- ‘But remember, there are civilians and non-combatants down there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.