One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is not engaged in fighting during a war, especially a civilian, chaplain, or medical practitioner.
non-fighting, non-participating, civilian, non-belligerent, pacifist, neutral, non-alignedView synonyms
- ‘Civilians and non-combatants are often cited as reasons for war - usually after they are dead - or reasons not to go to war - in the context of avoiding killing them.’
- ‘Indeed, the question of the humanity of a weapon that causes indiscriminate blinding of combatants and non-combatants will restrict the future use of this technology in combat.’
- ‘But remember, there are civilians and non-combatants down there.’
- ‘September saw the British retake Delhi after an extremely fierce fight in the city streets where no distinction was made between non-combatants and mutineers.’
- ‘Of the roughly 1.3 million Indian combatants and non-combatants sent overseas to fight for the British empire, the largest chunk were routed to Mesopotamia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.