One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is not an inhabitant or national of a particular country or town.
- ‘I think we even have a few non-citizens around this place every now and again.’
- ‘During the special registration process thousands of other non-citizens have been deported.’
- ‘Section 412 of the Act permits indefinite detention of immigrants and other non-citizens.’
- ‘Right now non-citizens, or immigrants, have children that are attending public schools and yet they don't have a say in the School Board elections.’
- ‘Being a non-citizen has become a dicey prospect for many immigrants in the past few years.’
- ‘They are constantly diminishing the rights of non-citizens.’
- ‘All free inhabitants were either citizens or non-citizens.’
- ‘And as recently as the 1920s, non-citizens voted in about half the states.’
- ‘They claim the right to lock up citizens and non-citizens alike, without charges, hearings or even notification of families.’
- ‘The majority upheld the government's argument that, at least as far as non-citizens are concerned, it has the right to operate above the law, as defined by legislation.’
- ‘A lawful non-citizen is a non-citizen who holds a visa and an unlawful non-citizen is anyone who is not a lawful citizen.’
- ‘Citizens and non-citizens alike can be targeted for their political beliefs.’
- ‘As a non-citizen holding a valid visa, as with any person present in this country, he was entitled to be treated according to law.’
- ‘To advance its object, the Act provides for visas permitting non-citizens to enter or remain in Australia.’
- ‘Yes, because several states allow non-citizens to vote in local school board elections.’
- ‘In addition, there is mounting evidence of participation by non-citizens in state and federal elections.’
- ‘The policy allows foreign companies and non-citizens to lease land from the government or from private land owners for investment purposes only.’
- ‘Yet, policing borders inevitably involves coercion, discrimination, and sharp distinctions between citizens and non-citizens.’
- ‘The legislation would likely end up applying to all non-citizens detained by the government both outside the US and within.’
- ‘Among them is a law passed by Congress last fall which bars all non-citizens from working as screeners in the new federal workforce.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.