One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Failure to appear or be present, especially at a gathering or engagement.
non-attendance, non-appearance, absenteeismView synonyms
- ‘Mr Woodward's reason for non-appearance on the day the case was due to start was, to my mind, inadequate and remains inadequate.’
- ‘The reason for the non-appearance of the applicants appears in an affidavit which has been filed in this Court.’
- ‘League secretary Bob Shackleton was mystified by the player's non-appearance.’
- ‘He didn't go so far as to blame their non-appearance on begrudgery, but he didn't have to.’
- ‘Combined with Hyypia's non-appearance in the second half, it was just the tonic United needed to rouse themselves, and they emerged in the second half with a point to prove and three to earn.’
- ‘Visitation centre workers' complaints about cancelled visits or non-appearance were conveyed to Mr. Lee.’
- ‘He was therefore taken by surprise at the non-appearance of his legal representation and had no opportunity to either obtain alternative legal representation or to conduct his own case after preparation.’
- ‘Other Fringe directors agreed that Lowe's non-appearance was damaging.’
- ‘However a significant number of cases had to be adjourned because of the non-appearance of defendants.’
- ‘Cancellation of an event and non-appearance of performers or abandonment are the main risk factors.’
- ‘Also, his non-appearance in the 200m final, followed by talk of his participation in the lucrative Golden League meet in Brussels a week later, raised doubts about the slight hamstring injury he is reported to have sustained.’
- ‘After his reply to Mrs. Pagnel's letter following Aunty Linda's funeral, and his non-appearance at that event, I just assumed I would never see my father again.’
- ‘Obviously upset at the last minute non-appearance of Gantley, Galway looked to be in total disarray in the opening sequences watched by an attendance of 8,321.’
- ‘Hugo Duncan extends his apologies to all his fans for his non-appearance at The Lord Bagenal Inn on Wednesday, August 10 due to having missed a ferry connection on return to Ireland from his English tour.’
- ‘The five judges of the South Jakarta District Court used Suharto's third non-appearance last week to throw out the indictment.’
- ‘He said his non-appearance at the tribunal in July was due to a misunderstanding.’
- ‘Later, he went to the emergency room after he said he fell, and he was forced to rush back to court wearing pyjama bottoms when the judge threatened to have him arrested for non-appearance.’
- ‘This fact did not prevent the Evening Times on Wednesday giving over the majority of their back page to the 22-year-old's non-appearance in the Scottish Cup final.’
- ‘He said by his non-appearance, he meant no disrespect to the court and does not know what his next move would be, since the time limit for filing charges against Rowley has expired.’
- ‘His helpers, wearing bright yellow jackets, tinsel and antlers, carried on through the streets of Welling as best they could but onlookers could not help but be disappointed at his non-appearance.’
- 1.1Law Failure to appear or be present in a court of law, especially as a witness, defendant, or plaintiff.
- ‘Given that direct resistance to religious court authority is itself illegal and non-appearance for a summons can be met with a police-enforced arrest warrant, indirection is a means of effective resistance.’
- ‘The question about whether he could have obtained representation at an earlier date I suppose is the only issue which would trouble your Honour as to his non-appearance.’
- ‘Magistrates sentenced Scholz to two months in prison, with seven days added for non-appearance at court’
- ‘There has been no affidavit material filed to explain the circumstances of this non-appearance.’
- ‘Mr. Lloyd submitted that Joanne Colley's non-appearance and the inability of the police to locate her brother were reflective of the fact that neither of the Colleys had any interest in prosecuting the matter in the first place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.