One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of not forcing refugees or asylum seekers to return to a country in which they are liable to be subjected to persecution.‘we are appealing to all states to uphold their international obligations with regard to non-refoulement’
- ‘It demanded Hong Kong return me outside of the framework of its laws, in direct violation of the principle of non-refoulement – the Law of Nations.’
- ‘The principle of non-refoulement moreover did not represent international customary law, but only applied where individual states had undertaken the relevant obligations in international treaty law.’
- ‘Although the Convention deals with non-refoulement, it refers to non-refoulement of refugees.’
- ‘I am sceptical that there will be basic bottom line protection for the deportees such as non-refoulement.’
- ‘Other categories of refugees were left without international protection, as the principle of non-refoulement was then not yet part of customary law.’
1970s: from non- + refoulement.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.