Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nomination for an honor, award, etc.‘she isn't the the only star to receive an Oscar nom for her first feature film role’
Nominate for an honor, award, etc.‘Inception was nommed for an Oscar but lost out to The King's Speech’
Used to express pleasure at eating, or at the prospect of eating.‘chili and cornbread for dinner, nom nom!’‘I love pizza. Nom nom nom’‘Try the mac and cheese! Nom!’‘tempura shrimp, lettuce, cucumber, spicy mayo—om nom nom’
- ‘A lot of food to choose from, and desserts hmm nom nom.’
- ‘I love Granny Smith apples, their texture holds up well when baking and they add the tartness I love - Nom nom nom!’
- ‘Meanwhile, I shall find solace in this tasty pie om nom nom.’
- ‘Nom Nom Nom! We stopped in the meatball joint for a late dinner the other night and had a great time.’
- ‘Here, have a chocolate - om nom nom.’
- ‘Another excuse..I mean REASON for me to eat more bacon (nom nom nom),’
- ‘Off to lunch...nom nom!’
- ‘My sister had the risotto - nom nom nom nom.’
- ‘The girl who ends up with him is going to be very lucky and very fat because his desserts are so sinfully yummy that you can't stop eating - nom nom nom.’
- ‘Nom nom nom nom best tacos ever!’
Food.‘a Mexican restaurant that serves noms like sweet potato empanadas’‘there were all kinds of nom noms—onion rings, hot dogs, burgers, and fries’
- ‘Delicious nom noms were shared, picnic-style, in the green and grassy interior of Grosvenor Square.’
- ‘And there are few things in life as satisfying as sitting in the park enjoying nom noms from a French bakery.’
- ‘It gets a bit crowded as the night carries on, but great for drinks and nom nom after work.’
- ‘He staged moody still lifes composed of nom noms that pop stars enjoy snacking on backstage.’
- ‘Amazingly good flavors and it is probably attributed to the fact that their ingredients are locally sourced, as well as the love the owners and staff put into making their nom noms.’
- ‘Flaxseed offers an easy way to supercharge your meals with healthy nom.’
- ‘What better to do than to have a beer and some nom noms.’
- ‘Then when tea time came around, so did the food: trays and trays of nom noms came up.’
- ‘You'll be doing High Fives all day long after experiencing the awesome service, great atmosphere and tasty nom noms.’
- ‘It sounds like you're going to have a fine selection of nom noms in your fridge.’
Eat (something), typically with great enjoyment.‘I nommed all my pizza before I remembered to take a picture’‘the first sighting of a leatherback turtle in Dorset—it's nomming a jellyfish, as they do’‘I just nom-nommed the kettle chips you brought me’[no object] ‘we nommed on stir-fry and then ordered several desserts’
- ‘We nom-nommed on a vegan giant salad spring roll and a california roll.’
- ‘Despite not having seen each other for months, we ate, slurped, drank and nom-nommed in near silence.’
- ‘There was so much cheese and we received extra bread crisps for free after we nommed the six lonely pieces that accompanied the first go around.’
- ‘My cousin brought over a box of goodies - I was overwhelmed by how INCREDIBLE the sweets were and I couldn't stop nomming.’
- ‘If you plan on nomming a few other items, stick to the half plate.’
- ‘They were huge portions and we nommed it all up.’
- ‘After all, there are still giant brats and ham doughnuts to be nommed.’
- ‘She posted two photos of herself engaging in non-pregnant lady behavior: drinking wine and nomming on tuna.’
- ‘Our food was brought out (so fresh) and we started nomming.’
- ‘Portions are OK for 1 person but you might want to also order an appetizer to nom-nom on in addition to a main entree.’
Early 21st century: probably imitative but apparently also popularized by the noises made by the Cookie Monster character in the children's television program "Sesame Street". Compare with yum.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.