One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Silent; quiet.‘the bicycle is a benign form of transportation, being noiseless and nonpolluting’
silent, still, hushed, soundlessView synonyms
- ‘Gaze wary, he folded his tired wings and started down the hillside, footsteps noiseless and ears alert.’
- ‘For such a large, brawny man, his movements were rather quick and noiseless.’
- ‘When travelers step beyond the gate of an arriving flight at the Tokyo or Osaka airport, within five seconds a noiseless and speedy shuttle arrives to move them to another terminal for a connecting flight.’
- ‘He gazed behind him for a second, and everything was noiseless and silent.’
- ‘She folded her arms and laid her head on top of them, her tears sliding down her cheeks in a noiseless stream as she blew a curl away from her face.’
- ‘The only emission from these hydrogen-fuelled vehicles is water vapour, giving rise to completely pollution-free motoring, as the electric motors used are noiseless, too.’
- ‘The ride down was completely noiseless and, seemingly, motionless; the elevator just accelerated and decelerated so slowly it was very hard to feel.’
- ‘She turned and headed back into the jungle, her feet noiseless on the soft underbrush.’
- ‘The actual process of writing, though, demands complete, noiseless privacy, without even music; a baby howling two blocks away will drive me nuts.’
- ‘A cooler like that is absolutely noiseless, since there are no moving parts at all.’
- ‘Most birds' flight feathers are stiff-edged, but an owl's are soft and fringed, allowing noiseless, deadly flight.’
- ‘They call it noiseless and despite having a rear exhaust fan it was essentially silent in our testing.’
- ‘Silence and peace filled the noiseless air of the pre-dawn sky.’
- 1.1technical Accompanied by or introducing no random fluctuations that would obscure the real signal or data.
- ‘The cancellation of vacuum fluctuations leads to the possibility of noiseless signal amplification with the feedforward loop.’
- ‘We are having bad experiences with mainboard manufacturers when it comes to noiseless power regulation.’
- ‘Simulation begins by generating noiseless waveforms at the link data input and proceeds through each subsequent component model until the system output is generated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.