One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the gaseous elements helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon, occupying Group 0 (18) of the periodic table. They were long believed to be totally unreactive but compounds of xenon, krypton, and radon are now known.
- ‘It combines with all elements except the noble gases of Group 18 of the periodic table.’
- ‘However, the space body left a calling card - complex carbon molecules called buckminsterfullerenes, or Buckyballs, with the noble gases helium and argon trapped inside the caged structure.’
- ‘In the early 1960s, a number of chemists found ways of making compounds of some noble gases, including radon, xenon, and krypton.’
- ‘The sodium ion has the same electron configuration as neon, the noble gas immediately before it on the Periodic Table.’
- ‘And what you pick up in the atmosphere is minute traces of radioactive isotopes, particularly the noble gases, Argon, Xenon, Krypton, et cetera.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.