Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thing that is not possible or acceptable.‘perming highlighted hair used to be a definite no-no, but it's now possible’
- ‘So an office at that end of the building is a definite no-no as the droning hum could drive me mad.’
- ‘The first rays of the morning sun can do terrible damage, so an east-facing wall is a definite no-no.’
- ‘That sort of event was a definite no-no and he worked hard to prevent such things.’
- ‘Since he also caters for kids, obscenities and alcohol are a complete no-no.’
- ‘This is a definite no-no if you're looking for quality protein to add to your active lifestyle.’
- ‘It sounded inviting, but I was told that swimming with the manatees was a no-no.’
- ‘Is plagiarism a moral and ethical crime or just a naughty no-no?’
- ‘Smoking is a definite no-no, while alcohol consumption should be kept at sensible limits.’
- ‘Chinese eateries are usually associated with pork, and that is a no-no for Muslims.’
- ‘The embarrassment concluded with his attempt to kiss Princess Anne's hand, a royal no-no.’
- ‘Dirt and grease under the fingernails is a no-no, as it detracts from a woman's jewellery and alters the taste of finger foods.’
- ‘It took me all of five minutes, for example, to conclude that high-waisted trousers and Botox are a definite no-no.’
- ‘Wiggling out was a definite no-no since he had already made sure that I had nowhere else to turn to.’
- ‘Traditional wisdom says that if you care about fat and pounds, then ice cream is a definite no-no.’
- ‘Whether you're grabbing a meal on the run or topping up on a long drive, eating and driving is an absolute no-no.’
- ‘Is it OK with everyone if we discuss the particulars or is that a no-no?’
- ‘He adds that typographical errors, hand written documents and bad grammar are major no-nos.’
- ‘Biker jackets and high-tech styling are trends that might seem like a no-no for adults.’
- ‘Compromising an intelligence source for political gain is a huge no-no.’
- ‘There were some people putting ropes on the whales and the wildlife officials say that's a no-no.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.