One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless gas with a sweetish odor, prepared by heating ammonium nitrate. It produces exhilaration or anesthesia when inhaled and is used as an anesthetic and as an aerosol propellant.
Chemical formula: N₂OAlso called laughing gas
- ‘These gases, including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide, absorb heat more readily than do the main constituents of our atmosphere, oxygen and nitrogen.’
- ‘Other trace gases include methane, nitrous oxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and ozone.’
- ‘He underwent surgery under general anaesthesia with oxygen in nitrous oxide.’
- ‘This patient, a young woman, had obtained her nitrous oxide from cartridges of nitrous oxide used to aerate cream.’
- ‘Carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and other gases are known collectively as greenhouse gases because they trap heat in the atmosphere.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.