Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a plant) preferring soils rich in nitrogen.
- ‘Such conditions support the strong dominance of such tall competitive nitrophilous species.’
- ‘Directly beneath Wartburg Castle, nitrophilous pioneer woodlands dominated by Maplespecies have developed due to the tradition of waste deposition in former times.’
- ‘A statistically significant increase in nitrophilous lichen coverage was observed on trees near feedlot operations when compared to trees located at a greater distance.’
- ‘Nitrogen compounds from automobile exhausts and other fuels contribute to this type of atmosphere and probably account for the relative abundance of several nitrophilous lichen species in city parks and along streets.’
- ‘It is dominated by nitrophilous forbs like Artemisia vulgaris, Cirsium arvense, Urtica dioica, and Melissa romana.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.