One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical processes by which atmospheric nitrogen is assimilated into organic compounds, especially by certain microorganisms as part of the nitrogen cycle.
- ‘Plastids perform essential cellular functions and harbour a complex biosynthetic machinery for nitrogen fixation, amino acid biosynthesis, sulphur metabolism, isoprenoid biosynthesis, and gene expression.’
- ‘It does this by integrating natural processes such as nutrient cycling, nitrogen fixation, soil regeneration and natural enemies of pests into food production processes.’
- ‘Legumes, such as soybean, are able to capture atmospheric nitrogen and utilize it through the process of nitrogen fixation.’
- ‘Thus, we can see that nitrogen fixation is a unique process in which the soybean plant and bacteria work closely together throughout the season.’
- ‘In addition, when Cuscuta parasitises Lupinus albus, atmospheric nitrogen fixation by the nitrogen-fixing host is severely depressed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.