A reddish-brown poisonous gas used in the manufacture of nitric acid. It is also an air pollutant, a constituent of untreated automobile exhaust.
- ‘Increases in ozone, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide are blamed primarily on the motorist.’
- ‘Levels of nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide remained at a normally low level.’
- ‘Free radicals such as nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide show weak attractions toward magnetic fields - they are called paramagnetic.’
- ‘In these reactions the ozone reacts with nitric oxide to produce nitrogen dioxide.’
- ‘Nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide were chemically assayed as nitrite from sorbent tubes by using spectrophotometry.’