One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless toxic gas formed in many reactions in which nitric acid is reduced, as in reaction with copper. It reacts immediately with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide.
Chemical formula: NO. Also called nitrogen monoxide
- ‘In these reactions the ozone reacts with nitric oxide to produce nitrogen dioxide.’
- ‘Levels of nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide remained at a normally low level.’
- ‘Also, nitric oxide synthase will produce superoxide in lieu of nitric oxide when arginine concentration is low.’
- ‘He isolated around twenty different airs, including hydrogen chloride, nitric oxide, and ammonia.’
- ‘Both nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide can be toxic at higher concentrations.’
nitric oxide/ˈˌnītrik ˈäkˌsīd/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.