One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless or pale yellow liquid acid that is corrosive and poisonous and has strong oxidizing properties, made in the laboratory by distilling nitrates with sulfuric acid.
- ‘Ether can be oxidized by nitric acid to produce ethanoic acid.’
- ‘In a second method, toluene is mixed with nitric acid and oxidized to produce benzoic acid.’
- ‘Oxidizing acids such as nitric acid or strong sulphuric acid cannot be handled with copper alloys.’
- ‘When ammonia is reacted with nitric acid, ammonium nitrate is produced.’
- ‘A nitronium ion, made by treating nitric acid with sulfuric acid, is the electrophile.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.