Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘If it's now up to nitery owners to ensure that there are no customers under 20 in their establishments, what about the workers on stage and off who are 18 up?’
- ‘We hear that the nitery does not have persistent barkers instructing you to get inside.’
- ‘Cyril works as a co-bouncer (with the humourless Nigel) and occasional singer in a seedy niterie, the Blue Cockatoo Club, owned by the cigar-puffing Colwyn Stanley, a former bed-mate of Cyril's mother.’
- ‘But if farangs actually are the problem, why are so many work permits still handed out to foreign investors in nitery and bar businesses?’
- ‘What does the nitery crackdown have in common with cheating baht bus drivers, a hike in the price of visas and rubbish in the streets?’
- ‘It's odd how some nitery owners are complaining about a total collapse in the market whilst others are still making a profit.’
- ‘The jazz runs hot in the delightful opening of The Triplets of Belleville, a retro variety show of mid-1930s stars, who perform for all the swells at the Swinging Belleville Rendezvous nitery.’
- ‘Pattaya's hotel and nitery owners are putting on a brave face, but the reality is probably that many farangs are going to delay their winter holidays this year.’
- ‘But a tourist was charged precisely that when he asked the nitery hostess to get him a pack.’
- ‘On the one hand, permits for farangs operating Pattaya bars and niteries are no longer almost impossible to obtain.’
- ‘The amber liquid is still flowing freely in the niteries, although you may have to box a little cleverer to slake your thirst half an hour later.’
- ‘Moreover, there's at least one nitery in Pattaya which openly advertises a lesbian show.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.