One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibiotic substance which is a mixture of related polypeptides and is used in some countries as a food preservative.
This substance is produced by the bacterium Streptococcus lactis
- ‘However, there is little published information pertaining to the applicability of nisin on peel fibrous film and its bactericidal effect on deli meat products.’
- ‘My results suggest that the inactivation of nisin by the producer organism may not be entirely enzymatic.’
- ‘They also identified the structure of the enzyme that makes nisin and gives it its unique biological power.’
- ‘The authors reported that nisin can be sensitizing via i.p. injection but not by oral treatment.’
- ‘Thus the intensity of fluorescence is directly proportional to the amount of nisin in the environment.’
1940s: from ( Group) N i(nhibitory) s(ubstance) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.