[postpositive] (of a decree, order, or rule) taking effect or having validity only after certain specified conditions are met.
- ‘I do not think you can even grant an order nisi if the privative clause operates, can you?’
- ‘Certainly, insofar as the order nisi seeks writs of mandamus and certiorari, it is outside of the time limit.’
- ‘Then, if the case stated were satisfactory, the order nisi could be granted on that day.’
- ‘It does, in my argument or my submission, give rise to a proper application for an order nisi for mandamus.’
- ‘This Court will not hear applications for orders nisi comprising three Justices.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, literally unless.