Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being nimble.
agility, litheness, sprightliness, light-footedness, nimble-footedness, lightness, spryness, liveliness, activeness, quickness, smartnessgrace, gracefulness, suppleness, limberness, lissomness, flexibility, skill, deftness, dexterity, adroitnessnippiness, zippinessfleetness, lightsomenessView synonyms
- ‘We're having to behave with the nimbleness of a business start-up and that's a challenge for a large organisation which has 39,900 worldwide employees.’
- ‘It may be that they are just envious of our arboreal and hunting skills, our nimbleness and adaptability, and our ability to see in the dark.’
- ‘Written more than 2,600 years ago, the 101 words of verse deal with a theme timeless in both art and soap operas; the stirrings of an ageing body towards the nimbleness, youth and love it once knew.’
- ‘The immediacy of radio, and its nimbleness in updating stories, was once what gave it a huge advantage over print - an advantage that, of course, the new media have captured.’
- ‘For land transportation the nimbleness and lightning acceleration of the shopping-bike was decided upon unanimously.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.