One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large crocodile with a long, narrow head, native to Africa and Madagascar.
- ‘In the west, the dry hills and red rivers are home to 16-foot Nile crocodiles.’
- ‘In fact, Nile crocodiles are known to form ‘dams’ using their bodies, while another member of the group catches the fish trapped by his crocodile mates.’
- ‘This park contains one of the largest hippo populations in the world and high concentrations of Nile crocodile.’
- ‘Together they spent a year on Lake Rudolf (now called Lake Turkana) in northern Kenya, killing and dissecting about 500 animals in order to learn what they could about Crocodilus niloticus, the Nile crocodile.’
- ‘The first 31 of 50 Nile crocodiles have arrived at the Johannesburg Zoo to take up residence in a newly created enclosure, Crocodile Country.’
- ‘A cruise on the river Chobe provides sightings of elephants in water, Nile crocodiles and on the river-bank will be lions.’
- ‘The Nile crocodile (C. niloticus) is more closely related to non-African Crocodylus and is not a close relative of C. cataphractus, suggesting that it may actually be a more recent immigrant to Africa.’
- ‘Water levels are too low, and Nile crocodiles consume too many small fish.’
- ‘After she did her PhD on the crocodiles of Lake St. Lucia, she saw the opportunity to start a research project on the Nile crocodiles in the Okavango.’
- ‘Swamps are home to the Nile crocodile which breeds mainly in the river's northern section.’
- ‘‘There are many instances of crocodilian populations - including Nile crocodiles - which are isolated from each other, yet are not sufficiently dissimilar to count as new species, or even new subspecies,’ said Britton.’
- ‘Towering sand dunes roll down to lily-strewn swampy lakes inhabited by Nile crocodiles.’
- ‘‘I'm not a geneticist,’ Barr said, ‘but we are hearing that the cave population was distinctly different genetically from other populations of Nile crocodiles in Madagascar.’’
- ‘It further contains the look-alike species, which are controlled because of their similarity in appearance to the other regulated species like lion, hippo, Kafue and black lechwe, meyers parrot, and Nile crocodile.’
- ‘For instance the Zimbabwean population of Nile crocodile was downlisted so that its commercial utilization could be expanded to provide funds for habitat protection.’
- ‘A study on Nile crocodiles indicated that they usually eat only about 50 full meals a year.’
- ‘The large animals you will see at Abuko include a population of Nile crocodiles living in a series of permanent pools.’
- ‘He'll test them on Nile crocodiles in South Africa, which are imperiled because changes to a local dam will raise water levels and swamp nesting beaches.’
- ‘The sky at times almost turning back with the vast numbers seek their roots high above the Nile crocodiles that bask bellow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.