Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person whose job is to guard a building at night.
sentry, sentinel, security guard, nightwatchmanView synonyms
- ‘Some trainers have nightwatchmen and some don't.’
- ‘The plaintiff was the wife of one of three nightwatchmen who had gone to the defendant's hospital after drinking some tea and becoming ill.’
- ‘The four are interrupted by the nightwatchman, Victor.’
- ‘The director, who ran a demolition company, had been standing in for the nightwatchman at the compound.’
- ‘They broke into the store and looked for the nightwatchman.’
- ‘He was accused of threatening a nightwatchman with a pistol and was acclaimed as a martyr when he maintained his innocence, refusing to name the true culprit.’
- ‘A nightwatchman later overheard him bragging about his duplicity and arrested him.’
- ‘When the nightwatchman discovered the door unlocked and someone sleeping inside, he turned the key in the lock.’
- ‘I was a scab office cleaner during a labor strike of cleaners, nightwatchmen & porters, but I lost the contract when the offices I was cleaning were sabotaged by strikers.’
- ‘Male residents were forced to act as nightwatchmen and to help dig trenches.’
- ‘He also served, when necessary, in the role of nightwatchman, guarding all the horses and vehicles of the royal carriage and hobby stables.’
- ‘In a struggle the nightwatchman punches him and the accused then kills the nightwatchman.’
- ‘Nightwatchmen in Nairobi munch it to stay alert through the dangerous nights in the crime-ridden capital.’
- ‘He moonlights as a nightwatchman at the Meadowbank leisure centre in Edinburgh.’
- ‘The original versions of the York Waits also worked as nightwatchmen and barely had enough money to mend their costumes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.