One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is habitually active or wakeful at night.
- ‘I usually didn't wake up early enough for breakfast because I was a night owl and usually stayed up until around 4 in the morning and didn't wake up until noon.’
- ‘The moon rules my sign, maybe this is why I'm a night owl.’
- ‘He's a bit of a night owl, so ring after 10 p.m. and be sure to say that I told you to call.’
- ‘I was a night owl when I was 18, these days I'd rather be in bed at 1am than partying.’
- ‘She's on the job, but she's something of a night owl and doesn't hit top gear until much later in the day.’
- ‘There is also a worthwhile network of night buses, especially in the centre of London which for the night owl are both frequent and comprehensive enough to be of real value.’
- ‘I'm a night owl and my husband's more of a lark, so I'll sometimes find myself alone with a glass of wine at midnight, too.’
- ‘Then he added, ‘I know, it's weird, but I am a night owl.’’
- ‘I'm not a night owl,’ he commented, crawling into his sleep sack before falling asleep.’
- ‘‘Because of the nature of my security business, I am a bit of a night owl and my company's name is Night Security so I combined the two to come up with the title for the new CD,’ he smiled.’
- ‘The other dancers were deep in their own conversation, and, though normally a night owl, Amber found herself getting tired, and laid her head on Ronan's shoulder.’
- ‘In the Blackwell's mansion, Toby was the night owl.’
- ‘I'm a night owl, and pretty much useless in the mornings.’
- ‘I'm a night owl, true, but it's getting pretty late.’
- ‘He adds, however, that he is not a night owl because he has to stay in training.’
- ‘Thank goodness I'm a night owl, otherwise it probably would have taken twice as long to finish this chapter.’
- ‘Nice to know that being a night owl has its merits.’
- ‘Sam's mother smiled and said, ‘If you weren't such a night owl, you might actually wake up without the help of coffee one morning.’’
- ‘But Prince already was a finicky eater, and he says, ‘I'm definitely not a night owl.’’
- ‘I had a lovely conversation with his mother, my grandma Susie, on the phone today, and, thanks to the magic of instant messaging, just now wished my mum (who is a night owl like me) a happy mother's day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.