One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small short-necked heron that is active mainly at night.
Genus Nycticorax, family Ardeidae: several species
- ‘One of Wingate's biggest successes, paradoxically, involves the introduction of a non-native: the yellow-crowned night heron.’
- ‘At the pond there were a few white-winged terns, a black-crowned night heron, a purple swamphen, and some blue-cheeked bee-eaters.’
- ‘A pond near an amphitheater from Alexander the Great's time had a black-crowned night heron, a few little egrets, pied kingfishers and black-winged stilts.’
- ‘While there we found a black-crowned night heron (not the rarest bird on the block, but not one you see every day either).’
- ‘We've also had the endangered yellow-crowned night heron nesting in the area,’ says Dyer, an avid bird watcher.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.