Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for altricial
- ‘Newborn toucans are nidicolous, or nest-reared.’
- ‘Magpie nestlings, as well as most nidicolous birds, change skin color from red to orange.’
- ‘Both parents feed two to seven nidicolous nestlings.’
- ‘About 95% of all birds are at least socially monogamous, with both male and female partners typically providing substantial parental care in nidicolous species.’
Early 20th century: from Latin nidus nest + -colus inhabiting (from the verb colere live in, cultivate).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.