One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vitamin of the B complex which is widely distributed in foods such as milk, wheat germ, and meat, and can be synthesized in the body from tryptophan. Its deficiency causes pellagra.
Alternative name: 3-pyridinecarboxylic acid; chemical formula: (C₅H₄N)COOH
- ‘Blood levels of pantothenic acid were significantly higher in CD patients, and there were no statistically significant differences in levels of vitamins B12 and C, nicotinic acid, and biotin.’
- ‘If indicated, nicotinic acid and fibric acid derivatives are the most efficacious in lowering triglyceride levels.’
- ‘Yet this protocol led to the discovery of a low molecular weight molecule that was determined to consist of nicotinic acid, glycine, glutamate, and a sulfur-containing amino acid.’
- ‘Because of its ability to cause large reductions in circulating levels of cholesterol, nicotinic acid is used to treat Type II, III, IV and V hyperlipoproteinemias.’
- ‘Thus, the enzymes nicotinic acid mononucleotide adenylyltransferase and NAD synthetase are essential for growth of E. coli (coded for by the genes nadD and nadE, respectively).’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.