Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vitamin of the B complex that is widely distributed in foods such as milk, wheat germ, and meat, and can be synthesized in the body from tryptophan. Its deficiency causes pellagra.
- ‘If indicated, nicotinic acid and fibric acid derivatives are the most efficacious in lowering triglyceride levels.’
- ‘Blood levels of pantothenic acid were significantly higher in CD patients, and there were no statistically significant differences in levels of vitamins B12 and C, nicotinic acid, and biotin.’
- ‘Yet this protocol led to the discovery of a low molecular weight molecule that was determined to consist of nicotinic acid, glycine, glutamate, and a sulfur-containing amino acid.’
- ‘Thus, the enzymes nicotinic acid mononucleotide adenylyltransferase and NAD synthetase are essential for growth of E. coli (coded for by the genes nadD and nadE, respectively).’
- ‘Because of its ability to cause large reductions in circulating levels of cholesterol, nicotinic acid is used to treat Type II, III, IV and V hyperlipoproteinemias.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.