One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of the French city of Nice.
1Relating to or characteristic of the French city of Nice.‘the Niçois dialect’
- 1.1postpositive Denoting food that is characteristic of Nice or the surrounding region, typically garnished with tomatoes, capers, and anchovies.‘salade Niçoise’
- ‘This very simple dressing is my standard for all sorts of salads, from simple greens to shaved fennel, arugula, and Niçoise olives.’
- ‘We traipsed down to the Whole for a bottle of wine, a half pint of whipping cream, and some Niçoise olives - a very promising trio.’
- ‘The Swordfish Niçoise was perfect, and after a quick medley for Bethel's Lady Mayor, it was time to make the 10-minute drive back to the hotel.’
- ‘He was struck by the Asiatic influences in LA and early on replaced the canned tuna in a salad Niçoise with seared fresh tuna.’
- ‘I was thinking of making something healthy and simple for dinner - a Salad Niçoise.’
- 1.1postpositive Denoting food that is characteristic of Nice or the surrounding region, typically garnished with tomatoes, capers, and anchovies.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.