One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A storage battery with a negative electrode made of cadmium, a positive electrode of nickel oxide, and a solution of potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte. Nickel-cadmium batteries have the advantage of an airtight battery container, which prevents the corrosive electrolyte from leaking.
- ‘In 1995, 75 percent of the cadmium found in the municipal waste stream came from nickel-cadmium batteries, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.’
- ‘Thermal runaway is a condition in which the current for a fully charged nickel-cadmium battery rises out of proportion to the impressed-voltage level.’
- ‘The nickel-cadmium battery had begun to swell.’
- ‘Both batteries were commercialised early in the 20th century, though the nickel-cadmium battery has proved more successful.’
- ‘For example, my digital camera uses four nickel-cadmium batteries that are rated at 1.25 volts and 500 milliamp-hours for each cell.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.