Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being nice; pleasantness.‘her sheer niceness won her many friends’
pleasantness, friendliness, agreeableness, charm, amiability, affability, kindness, decency, geniality, cordiality, warmth, sympathy, understanding, compassionpoliteness, courtesy, civility, gentility, refinement, respectabilityView synonyms
- ‘She just has an affability about her and a niceness about her that permeates everything she does.’
- ‘We did little to help him and, charmed by McGrath's niceness, we protected him and allowed him to get away with it.’
- ‘Her determination, dedication and sheer niceness won her many friends.’
- ‘‘It just makes you feel taller,’ says Forrest, who notes that niceness and kindness are often confused.’
- ‘Anthony's niceness and kindness acts as a catalyst on the other kids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.