One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organization that collects news items and distributes them to newspapers or broadcasters.
- ‘The item was deleted after a news agency reported its existence.’
- ‘The blast came when a bomb exploded outside a shop in the main market of Khost City, the Pakistan-based news agency said.’
- ‘An unnamed employee in the building told the news agency Efe the blast was so powerful it shook the edifice and felt like an earthquake.’
- ‘He was eventually jailed for two years in 1997 for sending threatening letters to a Scottish newspaper and news agency.’
- ‘The Russian news agency ITAR-Tass reported that Massood had also died.’
- ‘A news agency recently reported you as the spiritual adviser to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.’
- ‘The water level exceeded 60 cm in some places, the Bulgarian news agency reported.’
- ‘Though she barely spoke English, she did have a degree in journalism and a year's experience working at a Kabul news agency.’
- ‘The news agency had sourced the story to the Public Relations Directorate of the Royal Nepalese Army.’
- ‘Police were searching for two men believed to be involved in the explosion, the ITAR-Tass news agency reported.’
- ‘That was denied today by the Press Association, the national news agency which covered the press conference.’
- ‘The event was reported by no less than a reporter for the official news agency.’
- ‘She previously worked as a reporter for a sports news agency, supplying newspapers and magazines with articles.’
- ‘The funny thing is that New China News Agency is the major news agency in China, it is the news agency in China.’
- ‘The ITAR-Tass news agency reported that there were as many as 100 people in the building at the time of the blast.’
- ‘The German news agency Dpa reports that Kurds have to pay again for further transportation once they arrive in Italy.’
- ‘He was hospitalised in stable condition, the national news agency Bernama reported.’
- ‘Its best example is Reuters, a news agency which it says produces the equivalent of 10,000 CDs of information every day.’
- ‘Chris, you work for the major news agency in the world, the Associated Press, the wire service.’
- ‘The news agency itself wrongly identified its source, a major national newspaper, as The Jakarta Post.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.