One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first day of the year; in the modern Western calendar, January 1.
- ‘All being well the next New Year's Day will be spent in a new place, quiet not only the morning after a big party but all year through.’
- ‘Eugene, who has been in charge of decorations at the hotel for three years, will even work Boxing Day and New Year's Day.’
- ‘They become yearlings on the first New Year's Day after they have been foaled.’
- ‘From New Year's Day, Revenue will only pay out on claims for expenses incurred in the last four years.’
- ‘One of the most beautiful and decadent traditions in classical music is the New Year's Day concert.’
- ‘The New Year's Day trip to Grimsby was called off because of a waterlogged pitch.’
- ‘They are also planning another 48-hour strike for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.’
- ‘Two men were arrested shortly after New Year's Day for discharging a firearm in the beachfront area.’
- ‘Every New Year's Day we had a message from the Pope about peace and that was his constant theme.’
- ‘There were six babies born on New Year's Day, and full details will appear in next week's Herald.’
- ‘It is unfortunate that their stress levels seem to escalate around Christmas and New Year's Day.’
- ‘It had snowed on New Year's Day, and then iced, and then snowed again that week, so we got an extra week on our Christmas break.’
- ‘On New Year's Day Wiltshire fire service spent most of the day pumping out flood waters that invaded the Market Place.’
- ‘He suffered brain damage because of a build-up of fluid in his skull and died nine months later on New Year's Day.’
- ‘The lucky draw to announce the winner will be conducted on the New Year's Day.’
- ‘Has New Year's Day been set up to give the illusion of having a new start?’
- ‘On New Year's Day they discovered water trickling down the walls in their hall.’
- ‘Now is the time to prepare if you want to give up smoking on New Year's Day 2004.’
- ‘Tiny twin girls born eight weeks premature kept special care staff busy as the New Year's Day smiles were mixed with concern.’
- ‘In January it lost part of its roof, blown off in a freak New Year's Day storm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.