One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease characterized by an early age of onset and possibly linked to BSE.
- ‘Discovery of new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease followed the epidemic of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in cattle.’
- ‘We have no knowledge of the ways in which new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease may become manifest, especially in elderly people.’
- ‘A 40-year-old patient is being treated for suspected new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD) in the clinic.’
- ‘One hundred fifty-three cases of new variant Creutzfeldt Jakob disease have been documented, but no cases have been caused by transmission through surgical instruments.’
- ‘"I believe that the evidence now available casts serious doubts on the case for a causal link between bovine spongiform encephalopathy and new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease," Venters said.’
- ‘It is believed that neurotoxic prions are the agents responsible for the brain-wasting illness known as new variant Creutzfeldt Jacob disease (nvCJD) affecting humans.’
- ‘At least 80 people have died from the resultant new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.’
- ‘Cases of new variant Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease, known almost universally as "the human form of BSE", were predicted as rising into the tens of thousands in Britain by the early years of the 21st century.’
- ‘It was in 1996 that Britain confirmed its first case of the fatal ailment known as new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, which humans get from eating BSE-contaminated meat.’
- ‘The debilitating and lethal human form of BSE—new variant Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease—has already claimed 85 victims and could claim thousands more.’
See Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.