1The phase of the moon when it is in conjunction with the sun and invisible from earth, or shortly thereafter when it appears as a slender crescent.
- ‘Every month, the first crescent of the new moon is observed, defining the beginning of the new month, whilst each year Ramadan commences 11 days earlier.’
- ‘The time of the waning moon leading up to a new moon is considered to be the optimum for detoxifying and letting go of what the body no longer needs.’
- ‘We all speculate that we want to go at a time when the moon is a new moon.’
- ‘A solar eclipse can only occur at conjunction, and the sighting of the new moon is typically not until 30 hours later.’
- ‘Once the new moon appears, the heir climbs onto the roof of his house and proclaims the power names of the deceased.’
- 1.1The time when the new moon occurs.
- ‘The members organise turtle walks everyday and during full moon and new moon days, intensify the patrols.’
- ‘Tokyo Mosque confirmed the new moon was Thursday by inquiring with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, and marked the beginning of Ramadan on Friday.’
- ‘From new moon to new moon, and from sabbath to sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, says the LORD.’
- ‘The park also hosts astronomy programs around new moons.’
- ‘Isn't it ironic that you guys performed your story - which revolves around a new moon - on the night of the new moon?’