One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The phase of the moon when it is in conjunction with the sun and invisible from earth, or shortly thereafter when it appears as a slender crescent.
- ‘The time of the waning moon leading up to a new moon is considered to be the optimum for detoxifying and letting go of what the body no longer needs.’
- ‘A solar eclipse can only occur at conjunction, and the sighting of the new moon is typically not until 30 hours later.’
- ‘We all speculate that we want to go at a time when the moon is a new moon.’
- ‘Once the new moon appears, the heir climbs onto the roof of his house and proclaims the power names of the deceased.’
- ‘Every month, the first crescent of the new moon is observed, defining the beginning of the new month, whilst each year Ramadan commences 11 days earlier.’
- 1.1 The time when the new moon occurs.
- ‘Isn't it ironic that you guys performed your story - which revolves around a new moon - on the night of the new moon?’
- ‘Tokyo Mosque confirmed the new moon was Thursday by inquiring with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, and marked the beginning of Ramadan on Friday.’
- ‘The members organise turtle walks everyday and during full moon and new moon days, intensify the patrols.’
- ‘From new moon to new moon, and from sabbath to sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, says the LORD.’
- ‘The park also hosts astronomy programs around new moons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.